December 16, 2009

Tourist (Julian Casablancas)


This conceptual (portrait?) piece was inspired by the song "Tourist" from Julian Casablanca's debut album, Phrazes for the Young. Here are some of the lyrics.


I wish air clouds could hold me up
Like I thought as a child, growing up
I wish I could sound
Soothing as the rainfall
But I am only, a drop from the storm

Feel like a tourist out in the country
Once this whole world was all countryside
Feel like a tourist in the big city
Soon I will simply evaporate


I really love living in Richmond, VA with all it's juxtaposed cultures and undiscovered nooks. I've been here for 5 years and it has truly become my home away from home. I may not know all the street names by heart, but if you put me on a random street, I can probably find my way home. I'll probably even find inexpensive take-out on the way.

At times while I'm walking down these street, I get a strange feeling. I know exactly where I am at all times, but I get an uneasy feeling akin to hair standing on end.
It's like when you walk into a party full of people you have never met before. You feel that rush of energy mixed with a little nervousness. You're anxious because you've never met them, yet at the same time, you're anxious to meet them. You look around the party. You recognize the way the towel rod is slightly crooked on the bathroom wall. You notice the way the plastic with wood print on it has been peeling away from the kitchen sink with each passing day. You even remember the random stain on the hardwood floor, still unsure of it's origin or how to get it up.

You realize this place is your house...but you know no one in it. At times, I feel like a tourist in my own city.

Special thanks to Brian McDaniel at Dirty Richmond who allowed me to use some photos for reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment